Wednesday, July 21, 2010

girls camp

It's been a few weeks, but I decided it is better than later to blog about this. The last week in June I had the privilege of going to girls camp with the YW in our ward. They were such a blast! I have to say, our ward has the best YW in the world, hands down. It was so much fun getting to know them better and spending time with them.



I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do with camp. I've decided the first year you are put in as the camp director is your screw up year. You find out what works and what doesn't. For example: Personal time at camp is well known for a time when you plan crafts. I didn't do that. I am not what you call a crafty person AT ALL. The stake planned a craft for the girls the first day, and this was the amount of girls that were interested in doing it...



6 out of 14. So I guess the no craft planning worked, and I didn't waiste money or my brain energy planning it. However, I did get a few complaints from some about not planning crafts, so I guess next year I will have those that complained in charge of that area. :) LESSON LEARNED.
The girls had the opportunity to do a challenge course one day. In the main course they had to climb up a caro net...



Climb from the cargo net onto a ladder suspended up in the air and walk across that ladder to a plank about 15 feet on the other side...


and then they got to zip line about 100 feet off the plank.


Almost every girl completed this main course. I was so proud watching them because some of them had a really hard time and had to really stretch themselves to be able to do this, but they did.
They were awesome!!



I have to say, one of my favorite times at camp is fire time. I love smelling like campfire, best smell in the world. I love singing songs around the fire, and pretty much just shooting the breeze and hanging out. Plus I think it is the time where the best bonding occurs.







Between classes our last full day up there we had a few girls massaging eachother's shoulders, so we all decided to join in the fun. I can't say it felt that great because my shoulders for some reason are really sensitive and I don't like shoulder massages, but nevertheless, it was fun. I love Val's face in this picture. Either I am doing an awesome job, or I suck at this!






I have to say, camp is so much better when your sista from another mista gets to be there with you. We ended up with a bunch of leaders that couldn't come up for camp this year because of Heber Valley's restrictions :( so because of being short on leaders we asked Katie to come up with us and help out as a leader. I was glad we had her because we definitely needed her. Plus, she helped keep me sane :)






One day up there we were able to play out on the lake. We couldn't get in because of conditions in the water, which was sad, but they let us go out in canoes and paddle boats. Val and Kali (two of our YW) asked me to come in a canoe with them, and I told them on one condition: they don't tip us on purpose. They promised me they wouldn't, but I was still pretty nervous the whole time because I know those two and sometimes "accidents" just happen. Thankfully we didn't tip and kept the getting wet to a minimum. After a while canoeing we decided to all get together and make a train. That was by far the funnest part.






Anyway, these were some of my favorite pictures from that week. Like I said before, I had an absolute blast with these girls. They are amazing!
Sunday night after the trailor was all loaded up to go I started to get a little anxious about leaving my family for a week, and I worried how Chris would do with things. BUT, when I came home on Friday the house was spotless, and the kids were happy. Chris said the week was great. They had a lot of fun, and he had no complaints whatsoever. Later Friday night during family prayer, Brendon told me he wanted me to go back to camp because daddy is funner, and the next day Jayden told me the same thing. Chris told a co-worker who asked how things went that he would rather be home than at work. I have to say, this isn't exactly what I wanted to hear, and I felt a little un-needed unappreciated. I had hoped to be missed just a little bit, but I am glad things went well and there were no problems. I guess since it went so well, and the kids like it when I'm gone and Chris enjoys being home with the kids so much that I need to go away for a week at a time more often! :)

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Camp looked like a lot of fun!!! I know you did a great job as camp director!!! That is a cute picture of you and Katie! What a great friend to be able to come too!!! And, I am sure anyone can do a week being home...but I am sure after a month, Chris would be begging to go back to work!!! And so would your kids! hehe!!!

Katie said...

I love these pictures, it captures the week perfectly! And I love the picture of us too (maybe it's because you can't see my double chin...)!
Thanks for letting me be apart of it all! You seriously did awesome and the girls had a blast!