I would be lying if I said I am completely fine that my what seemed to be "perfect" baby is a not so perfect, and has now hit his terrible two's. I'm actually REALLY sad about it. I always got comments that he was such a perfect baby and people that were pregnant would tell me they hope their child is like Ethan. I will agree. He was SUCH a good baby, and I don't think we could have been blessed with better. Somebody up there obviously knew I needed that.
HOWEVER-
I've decided Ethan finally knows what is about to take place with this new baby thing, and he is doing his best keep the attention all on him. Something has definitely clicked in his brain, let me explain with some examples.
1. He once LOVED nursery and would book it from S.M. to get there without even thinking to turn his head and say goodbye. I will admit that in the back of my mind I was a little sad that he didn't even care that he was leaving me, obviously I was just REALLY STUPID in that thinking! Now he throws himself on the floor and screams pretty much the whole time he is in there. I have never been so grateful to NOT be a nursery leader, and I've never felt so bad for them.
2. He has now started hitting me. When I tell him no or get after him for something he will get mad and hit me. If I slap his and and tell him no he gets madder and hits more. If I grab his hand and hold it so he can't hit me while I tell him no, he HEAD BUTTS me!!! Don't ask me where he learned that.
3. He is into anything and everything. He figured out how to pull his tray off his high chair and now can push it anywhere he wants and gets on the counter to get into anything he wants. His favorite cabinet is the medicine cabinet, of course! What's worse is he has figured out on more than one occasion how to open "child proof" containers. Apparently they really aren't so child proof in the first place. Luckily the only thing he has really had long enough to get open and eat before I caught him was a prenatal pill.
4. Now that he knows how to get out of his crib he refuses to take naps. Can I just say I was really looking forward to being able to put him down and the baby at the same time and still have some quiet time to myself each day. Yeah, that's probably NOT going to happen. I've even tried putting him in Brendon and Jayden's room and locking the door from the outside so he can't come out. I figured he would just get tired and zonk, right? Um, NOPE. He just stands by the door screaming the whole time. After about 1-2 hours of it, I finally let him out. I figure after that amount of time it's useless anyway because he is not going to give up. Stubborn little cuss!!!
5. We finally got so tired of him opening doors of rooms we didn't want him in that we bought those again "child proof" door knob things. Well, it took him all of about two seconds to get past them. I'm not exaggerating! The first day we got them and put them on, not two seconds after I put them on he either figured out how to turn the knob with them on, or if it was harder and it took longer than that, he figured out how to pull them right off the knob. What the heck!! So basically I waisted $6.00 buying them. That is definitely going to come out of his tooth fairy income for the next 6 teeth. Of course, I'm kidding, but I sure feel like it!!
I'll be nice and stop at 5, but I could honestly go on for about 10 more. That child! It's like he all of a sudden changed over night, because all of these things took place at pretty much the same time. I said to Chris last night, "What happened to my little angel?" He just laughed, but honestly, I was ready to cry. It really is sad to me! I know it's all part of growing up, but for some reason I didn't have this hard of a time with the other two. Probably because Brendon was much more gradual in his changing, and Jayden was just, well, hard ever since he came out of the womb, he never really changed. (Is that mean, if it's true?) Anyway, I guess I'll just be a big girl, hold back the tears, and say goodbye to my wonderful baby that slept 3-4 hours a day, basically just sat there and did nothing all day, and NEVER threw himself on the floor screaming. At least I'll say goodbye for about 10-12 years, as I'm sure in about that time he will be a lovely teenager where all he wants to do is sleep, sit on his butt all day, and well, I guess hopefully he won't ever throw himself on the floor screaming at that age, but I'm sure the attitude from that age will make up for it.
I don't know, maybe we'll end up the luckiest parents in the world and have two wonderful babies in a row. (Yeah, I'm not counting on it, I'm thinking our luck has probably run out with that. But hey, we are told there is nothing wrong with praying for the righteous desires of our hearts, right?) So I'll hope and pray like crazy that our next one is just as good. Cross fingers!
Christmas Morning!
4 years ago
6 comments:
I am sure your little girl will be an angel! Or at least for your sake she is....mine is a pill!!! I am sorry Ethan has become such a little fart! Especially because he WAS such a good baby! Good Luck!!!
I'll cross my fingers, arms, toes, legs anything I can think of.... just for your sake!
yeah, I'll try and not let Alan read this ;) Won't help my cause in having more kiddos. I'm sorry Ethan is excericising his free agency at such a young age! Maybe he feels like you had it super easy with Jayden and Brendon--that he's got to do the twos better than them? ;) Hopefully very very very soon...he'll come across the "Cool down" phase!
...or his energizer bunniness will wear off?
...sounds like a nice long run, walk, exercise... something to burn off that energy is in order. But what? Like I know. I didn't get mine until they were 4 and 6 and by then I could communicate with them verbally and reason with them and have them "DROP & GIVE ME 50."
I had to laugh reading your post, even though I totally get the honestly ready to cry about it too! This motherhood thing can be really tough, especially since each child is different, so just when you think you've figured out how to handle things, bam!, something changes and it's back to the drawing board! I've checked out 3 or 4 parenting books again in the last month, just trying to see if there is something else I'm missing that will somehow make things easier! By the time I figure it out, they will be grown and with families of their own! But, it's still worth it in the end (just tell yourself that while you are in your own timeout in your room taking a breather!!)
Post a Comment